Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 24, 2017

Today's Vacation Blogging Postponed on Account of Rain

Bogotá at night.  Literally.  And literally.
It's always nice to have a lazy day built into a vacation.  The breakfast buffet at the Casa Dann Carlton was enormous, maybe the biggest I've seen outside of my home town that I call home.  So I was slow getting started and when I finally did, the skies opened up.  So no turista-ing today.  Today's vacation was postponed on account of rain.

But that won't stop me from comida-blogging.


That was supper.  This was my second trip to Central Cevicheria as I ate here on a previous trip in 2015.  So I was already prepared for the idea that in Colombia, the seafood in the ceviche is cooked and it's served in a mayonnaise-based dressing.  So it's more of a seafood salad than a ceviche.  Which is good.  When you're prepared for it.

This was a "mixto," meaning that it had fish, shrimp and pulpo (!).  Octopus!  Which keeps my string alive of eating octopus wherever I go on vacation.  This was the "Al Pimiento" style, which means it had red bell pepper, onion, and -- this is the good part -- crispy bacon.  One of the few disappoints of traveling is that everywhere on earth I've been outside of the USA does not cook bacon crispy enough.  Until today.  Central Cevicheria knows how to make bacon crisp.


And for dessert?  A pisco sour.  You've heard of that Colombian drug scopolamine, where if a hooker blows it into your face you suddenly withdraw all your money out of the ATM?  Pisco, which is a strong Peruvian brandy, I believe, is worse.  Delicious.  But worse.


I ate at the bar once again because I was a party of one in a crowded restaurant.  At the bar was something I've never seen before on a bar: fresh herbs.  I understand mint.  In fact, I think that's an awesome idea to have fresh mint on the bar.  But rosemary?  What drink does that go in?  A focaccia bread martini?  I think that's basil there, too, which, again, I'm not sure which drink calls for fresh basil.  I don't recognize the herb at the far end, unless that's the mint.  In which case I don't recognize the herb at the near end.


The restaurant side.  And this is the bar side:


I got there in time because, when I was leaving, the line was out the door.  Colombians are not Argentines and Uruguayos with ridiculously late dining hours. But apparently they are on Friday nights.

1 comment:

  1. My bartender has 3 kinds of mint! And 2-3 kinds of basil! And of course rosemary! But, you know, Cambridge. Now you make me want a Pisco Sour....

    ReplyDelete