Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Sitka National Historical Park Is Lousy With Totems

That is NOT Mr. Peanut on top of that totem.
And it's culturally insensitive of you to have even suggested it.

At the end of the road of my stroll through downtown Sitka was this.


Sitka National Historical Park.  You wanna see totems?


This place has got 'em by the score.


This is not just the totem capital of Southeastern Alaska.  It has the largest concentration of totem poles in the known universe.


Or so I was told.  I believe.


There are a lot.  And if there is a place with more, I'm not sure I could handle it.  Sitka National Historical Park is absolutely lousy with totems.


But the whole of the park cannot be accessed due to a bridge closure.  I'm guessing I was cheated out of a dozen or so more totem.

This is a shot that I was able to take while keeping all known totems out of view.


It was tough to be able to snap a pic totem-free, seeing as the park is lousy with them.


They're everywhere.

This one is a rather weak example of the totem arts:


It's just an eagle carved out at the top of a post.  I only took this picture because of the cool shot of Mount Edgecumbe visible in the distance.

The raven atop this totem looks a bit penguin-like.  But at least it's all handsomely-carved imagery the full length of the pole.


This one is almost camouflaged.


You're right on top of it before you notice it.  As is true with this one.


They even have totems in open fields, for those having trouble finding them all in the thick forest.


As far as the totem below, if I remember correctly, upside down people = childbirth metaphor, at least in the pre-Colombian South America statuary that I've seen.  Don't know if the Tlingit people of this region drew from the same book of symbolism.


 There figures are not totem figures.


Just fishermen in the river.  I'm guessing they're fishing for salmon, since it's the time of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment