Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My Swinging Hip Bachelor Pad in Nazaré

View from my hotel room at sunset in Nazaré. Seriously.
My hotel room in Nazaré is the hippest, most swinging, bachelor pad I've ever stayed in.

Today was the day to leave Lisbon behind and go to the next stop on this vacation tour of Portugal.  I was going to stop in the town of Evora en route, except for the fact that's not really en route.  It's two hours due east of Lisbon.  And Nazaré, the day's ultimate destination, is two hours north.  And due to the vagaries of Portuguese geography, it would require a complete backtracking on the two-hour trek east in order to go north.

So no to Evora.


And yes yes yes to Nazaré.

The Hotel Miramar Sul is located on the cliffs above the southern part of Nazaré beach.


But that is not what makes the place so hip and swinging.


Orange sheers.  Red carpet.


Correction.  Red SHAG carpet.  Shag carpet!  The place is so hip and groovin' that I expected the sound system to pump in Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

Look at this:


It's even been sanitized for my protection!  There's nothing frayed or overtly dated about this place -- it is a VERY nice beach area hotel -- but it just magically appeared out of a time warp from 1971.


Except for the bathroom mirror selfie.  That's more au courant.  Right out of 2012.

No exploration of the town below for now.  Today ended up being a light vacation-within-a-vacation day.  Except supper,  Supper was not light.


I parked the rental car -- an Opel Astra which, weirdly enough, was what they said I would get when I rented the car several months ago -- in the narrow-streets part of Nazaré.


I ate supper at the beautiful, upscale Pangeia Restaurante in Nazaré, which actually was not far from the swinging hip hotel.


The decor definitely was not 60s hip.  Dinner was a delicious but heavy Grilled Octopus.


Fourth day eating octopus in my five days in Portugal.  And I've only just begun.

UPDATE:  I am very disappointed to say that the hotel room bed is NOT a waterbed.

1 comment:

  1. Bob this is Linda G - I would love to be JustA Treeee but I am a professor who has class tomorrow. Grilled Octopus every day - I am so envious I can hardly type (maybe that's also because I chopped off the end of my pinky trying to use a spiralizer). I wish I could see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete