Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sunday Church Phot-o' the Day: Inside the Frauenkirche; Nuremberg, Germany


Interior shot from the Frauenkirche, the Church of Our Lady, on the Hauptmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany. The Hauptmarkt is the large square just north of the river (the Pegnitz, for those keeping score) that is the center for Nuremberg's famous Christmas market.

I visited Nuremberg in December 2018 specifically to visit the Christmas market. Nuremberg's Christmas market is considered to the best in all the world by the experts -- yes, there are people who are experts on all the various European Christmas market -- which in yet another tangential digression is more appropriately referenced as an "Advent" market since they are open for the Advent season, pre-Christmas, rather than the Christmas season, which begins with Christmas Day.

One of my more major travel regrets is that I did not set aside enough time to see and explore Nuremberg. The Christmas Market the evening of my arrival was all the Nuremberg I allotted time to see. The next morning I was off to Trier, Germany. Nuremberg would have been worth a whole day, or two. I'm not sure if I'll make it through to here again, since Nuremberg is a little difficult to get to, as it's in the center of the country and all the major cities and other places people want to see in Tourist Germany are on the country's periphery. This looks like a regret that will always remain unsated.

No comments:

Post a Comment