Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Stockholm Syndrome: Last Day in the City of Sticks

Sinful Swedes enter the mouth of the beast for their eternal damnation. Best guess as to their sin? Public nudity.

Today is my last day in the City of Stockholm proper. My major observation? I did not schedule enough time here. But you live and you learn. I did not know before I came. But I do now. This is very nice to visit. Lots to see. Lots to do. I would have been worth more time than I what I allocated.

And the sun finally came out, even though it was cold and rainy. This is Vasagatan in the sun.

I have an afternoon ferry boat to catch to my next destinaion, so that means I have time for one more tourist attraction before I set sail like a Viking on a mission of plunder.

And I will travel to that destination via Metro.


The Stockholm Metro is renowned for its vibrantly decorated stations. This is the station "T-Centralen." 


Not bad for a Metro station. Apparently there are others that are even more vibrant. But that will wait for another trip because my trip planner failed to schedule me for a sufficient amount of time in Stockholm. Which, by the way, did you know that the name "Stockholm" means "City of Sticks"?

My destination for my last day in Stockholm was the Swedish History Museum.


I know, that doesn't sound like "saving the best fot last." But the best museum in town is the Vasa, and I did that yesterday. And I love history. And I love learning about the history of the countries I visit.

The first collection viewed was the prehistoric era of Sweden:


The petroglyphs reproduced on the museum floor looked like something one would see in the Nevada desert. Valley of Fire, perhaps?

Bronze tools:


What's interesting is how primitive the area of modern-day Sweden was a couple of thousand years B.C., compared to ancient Egypt. (And, yes, it is "B.C." and not "B.C.E," because that's the way I roll. Respect my acronyms!) When Egypt was building the great pyramids, Sweden could make a decent bronze act. That's not a negative comment on prehistoric Sweden. It's an observation about how advanced was Egypt at that time, relative to the rest of the planet.

They did n't identify either object as a "rune stone," but I will surmise these are rune stones.


They did have a display about the runic alphabet, which was in a children's section. I'm not the curator. The decision was not mine. But adults are interested in the runic alphabet, too, aren't we?

I think this was from the section of Swedish history about the arrival of Christianity:


Scandinavia was a relative late comer to Christianity. It was converted only in the 11th Century. And it did not stay in communion with Rome for long, as it was swept up in the Protestant Reformation only a few hundred years later.

This is a reliquay of St. Bridget of Sweden.


She lived in the 14th Century, which was the time of the Black Death. Sweden's population was just about cut in half during the plague years.

This is, maybe, the most anguished-looking crufixion scene I've seen.


What was most interesting about this museum was the religious art and, most specifically, the religious art from the medieval period.


The art from the time of the Renaissance and from the Bqroque era is nice, but the painted wood carvings from the medieval period are particularly striking.





I really liked this Last Supper:


I'm guessing this figure is Judas Iscariot.


There are 12 disciples presented, so Judas would be present. This one is one of the few sitting on the opposite side of the table from Christ. And this is the only one depicted with his head in his hands. It's got to be Judas. As for the other 11, I do not have a clue. I don't even know, for certain, which one is which in the Leonardo da Vinci version, which, we all can agree, is the definitive Last Supper. But this is the best rendering in wood I've yet seen.




This is Thomas Becket. There was a cult about him in Sweden during its period of Roman Catholicism.


Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest? King Henry II of England purportedly said of Thomas Becket, which prompted his murder. King Henrys and heads of the church in England named "Thomas" seems to make for a bad combination.

These are Saints Eric and Olaf:


Scandinavian martyrs. Depicted standing on the heads of their respective assassins.

And here is a pieta, in wood.


It's not Michelangelo. And this is not St. Peter's. But it's done well.

This one was a stunner:


As was this. We are getting progressively more lavish as the medieval period is about to transition into the Renaissance period.


The figures along the bottom are particularly nice. This is the Annunciation, where the Angel comes to Mary to tell her she will bear a child:


This is Mary's visit to her cousin, Elizabeth:


This is an unusually detailed circumcision of Christ:


And this is the presentment, which I thought was a more polite term for the circumcision but, at least according to this altarpiece, was a separate event.


Mary, with a crucifix from across the room artsily reflected on the artwork:


We then move into the Baroque period.


Again, as I said, nice, but no "wow" to it.

And while there was more museum I could've seen, it was time to go back to my hotel, collect my bags, and head for the ferry dock to be whisked away to my next destination.


This is the Klara Kyrka. seen in the rare Stockholm sun (rare at least on this visit).

And off I head to my ferry boat.


By way of the Slussen metro station, another of the artistically decorated metro stations of Stockholm, the City of Sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment