Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Top Five Favorite Hotels 2010-2020: #1: Hotel Libertador, Trujillo, Peru

And sometimes everything that I want in a hotel comes together in a single place and, on one occasion, it all came together with absolutely no downsides. My absolute favorite of favorites of all hotels where I've stayed was the Hotel Libertador, located right on the Plaza de Armas at the center of Trujillo, Peru.


Everything I want in a place to stay, the Hotel Libertador had.

Clean, comfortable room?


Check. Comfortable bed and big enough not to be cramped. I don't need my hotel room to be the size of a football arena.

Location convenient to everything? Check. Right beside the Plaza de Armas. And check out the view from my room:


The signature view of all of Trujillo, its most notable landmark, Trujillo's beautiful golden-yellow Cathedral. And despite all the traffic around the Plaza de Armas, the room was silent as a monestary.

Friendly and very helpful staff:



Check. Beautiful and large lobby:


And it wasn't very expensive. Not cheap, but not too expensive. In Peru, everything is really cheap (food, taxis, airfare). Everything except hotels, for some reason. The Hotel Libertador was a warm, welcoming place to stay right in the center of Trujillo action. It really was a perfect "home away from home," if only for three nights.


I take pride in the fact that my list of must-see vacation destinations contains a few idiosyncratic, off-the-well-trod-path choices that are unique to me. Trujillo definitely fit that bill. I was reading about the interesting pre-Inca sights in the area and decided that I needed to go and that I needed to go before I saw the Inca sights in Cusco and Machu Picchu (since I had to do things in the correct chronological order).


Trujillo was a great place to go. And the Hotel Libertador ranks as my favorite hotel at which I've ever stayed. Alas, it is no more. It was rebadged the Hotel Costa Del Sol Trujillo Centro and, apparently, is under new ownership. Some experiences are so wonderful they cannot be experienced again.

No comments:

Post a Comment