Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Last Supper in Poland: Stuffed Cabbage

In Poland, one should strive to eat like a Pole

The other day I realized that I've been in Poland for more than one week and I had not yet eaten what I consider to be the definitive Polish dish: stuffed cabbage,

The natives call it "golabki." But whatever you call it, this was the most delicious stuffed cabbage I have ever eaten.


When you find yourself in Krakow, I highly recommend dining at the Restauracja Smakołyki. Two cabbage rolls and a half-liter draft beer (dark) for only 32 zloty. That's only about $8 U.S.


How can they afford to sell such delicious stuffed cabbage for such a low, low price? I do not know. But the cabbage leaves were stuffed with ground pork (not beef). And the tomato sauce had just the right amount of piquant. It brought a little spice, a little heat, that complimented the pork and cabbage perfectly. Best meal in Poland.

For dessert, I went in search of the ice cream place, Tiffany, from the day before. They did not have the Brazil nut, so I ordered the saffron flavor.


Yes. Saffron-flavored ice cream. You know what it tasted like? Saffron. Or, more specifically, saffron rice. Only as an ice cream. It worked. It was quite tasty. Although I cannot see ever ordering it again if the opportunity were ever to present itself.


Walking back to the hotel I caught this cool-looking statue. I have no idea who Artur Grottger is or what he deserved to have people prostrate at his statue base like that, but I like it.

One last look at the Market Square before heading home:


One last look at the children crawling out of the eye socket of Eros Bendato.


One last hansom cab photo:


And that's all from Poland. Early morning flight out of town should get me back to Las Vegas by the afternoon. Where to next? Could be Chile. Could be Finland. Could be Morocco. Could be North Dakota. It all depends on the state of the world in the COVID era the next time I get to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment