Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Fourth and Final Day in Beijing: the Lama Temple

Something's burning at the Lama Temple. I think it's ... incense.
Next stop on the busy fourth and final day in Beijing was the Lama Temple.  Yes, "Lama."  As in "Dalai Lama."  As in Tibetan Buddhism.  Yes, a Tibetan Buddhist shrine is a major tourist attraction in Beijing.  Again, this was not the Beijing I thought that there was.


The Lama Temple did have a nice parking lot, which was very much appreciated.


And the walk through the gingko trees to get to the temple complex was nice.


Do you prefer your walk through the gingko trees in landscape or portrait?  I can handle either.


And soon enough ...


Despite the warning sign, there was plenty of smoking going on here.


Only it was all in the form of ceremonial incense sticks.  You are given a bundle.  You are supposed to light three at time, pray, bow to the north, the east, and the south -- but not the west -- then thrown the stick into the fire to make your wishes come true.


I threw mine in like I was President Trump feeding the Japanese koi:  all at once.  I didn't know!  I didn't know about the three-at-a-time rule until I already tossed my gratis sticks into the flames.

Anyway, even the Tibetan Buddhists love their lion imagery:


More ceremonial incense burning:



And at the end of the complex, after walking through a series of buildings, you reach the end of the line.  A giant Buddha!


18m tall, which, if my math and conversion methodology are correct, is about 60 feet.


Tibetan style architecture:


And there was a Prayer Wheel, which makes a fun toy for the young ones.


And dragon-turtle hybrids guarding the place.


But there was no time for dillying or dallying.  Off to the next destination. 


By the way, it's Night #4 in Beijing and my sleep cycle is still way off.  At 6:00PM, I was exhausted and sound asleep.  I could barely stay awake for dinner.  At 3:15AM Beijing time I woke up, completely rested.  A 15-hour time difference is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment