Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Fourth and Final Day in Beijing: the Summer Palace

You can ride the Dragon Boat across the lake. Just like a Dowager Empress.
Final stop for Beijing tourism was the Summer Palace and the surrounding neighborhood.


It is a beautiful area with an artificial lake.  While it goes back to the 1100's, it is associated with the latter years of the Qing Dynasty, the last dynasty before the Chinese republic.


It is a short walk from the parking area to the lake.


And then you're there.


Lots of boats.


Here is a view of Longevity Hill"


Note the lotuses, giving the place a whole "Monet in Giverny" vibe.


Four days in Beijing and what has struck me most about the place is the whole normality of the city.


Yes, there is a lot of "only in China" architecture, but there is so much about the city is like any other major city in the world.  And that, to me, was wholly unexpected.


There was no standing out for being a Westerner in the East.  The surveillance state was less notable than it is in Europe or North America.  There were luxury car brands all over the road (especially Audis -- I don't think I've ever seen so many Audis in one city).  Capitalism reigns supreme.  I never felt like I was accidentally insulting the locals by not knowing the proper customs and practices.
 

I thought Beijing would be totally unlike anyplace else I've ever visited.

And, for the most part, this was not true.


I don't mean that in a good way or a bad way.  It is just, like the old Bruce Hornsby song, the way it is.


More crane statuary than other places, however.


And more long colorful outdoor corridors.


And, as I said, only in China architecture:


And colorful gates.



OK.  And I do not believe I've seen a concrete boat in any of my travels to other places.


And this was my first time taking a dragon boat cruise across a lake.



A view of Longevity Hill:


And a well-arched bridge.


It was time to leave the Summer Palace and explore the surrounding neighborhood.  Via "rickshaw."


They got these in other cities, too.


We end up near a bell tower.  And there were cats there.


And talking mynah birds.


This was the drum tower.

And this was the bell tower:

Or vicey-versy.  And, of course, as in other cities, there was wacky wedding photography happening.


And cute dogs:


Time to head for the exits:


And there was another man-made lake in the city.


And shopping, if you're into that.


This was an upscale bar and restaurant neighborhood in northern Beijing.  Again, I didn't expect there to be upscale bar and restaurant districts all over the city.  The basic normality of the place was the revelation of this visit.


Time to leave Beijing after a four-day visit.  Next stop:  Xi'an.

1 comment: