Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 30, 2011

My first Czech supper

Halušky! It's what's for dinner.

When I woke up from my sleep glorious sleep, and wandered the Mala Strana, I wanted to get something snack-y to eat to tide me over to supper. When you read too many tour guidebooks, you sometimes can get scared to try something not listed in the book. But spontaneity is my middle name. (Well, actually, it's "Paul." I'm using a figure of speech.) I wandered over to Kampa Island alongside the River Vltava, and there were some stalls with people cooking up streetfood! One guy had this big cooking vessel that looked like a giant wok. He was cooking up a mixture of potato dumplings, sauerkraut, and thick-cut bacon which which my Polish friends may be familiar, but I was not. The sign said it was "potato," but one bite and it was definitely a spaetzl-type dumpling that probably had wheat in addition to potato, but it was gooooooooood. Washed it down with a beer, of course, because this is Prague. Nobody drinks water.

No comments:

Post a Comment