Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 17, 2019

Evening in Karlovy Vary

Knihovna Václava Havla, Vaclav Havel's Place, across the Tepia from Grandhotel Pupp
Supper time in Karlovy Vary. Do I head north into town?


Or do I head east, further downstream into unexplored territory. South and west are not options as there are no restaurants, commercial establishments, or even roads going in those directions.


East it is.


The options are slim. But the sites, as always, are nice.


I choose the restaurant inside the Carlsbad Plaza, mainly because the restaurant I wanted to try requires reservations decades in advance.


I am nervous about the restaurant I chose, the ID Bar and Restaurant, because it is billed as ultra-cutting edge fusion cuisine.


But my fears are somewhat assuaged as the room looks traditional and not hipster at all.

The pre-appetizer was, I think, I'm just going on flavor here, two different olive tapenades. The green olive one (far left) was very tasty. The black olive (right side) less so.
 

The appetizer was "lettuce salad" with fried goat cheese. I'm guessing "lettuce salad" losing something in translation. It was what we in the states call "field greens," with a big hunk of fried goat cheese on top. Fried goat cheese apparently is a thing in the Czech Republic. The vegetarians who dined with me in Adrspach had it and enjoyed it. It was a very good goat cheese. Much better than feta.


The main course was "flap meat steak" with mushroom ragout:


Cutting and paste the Czech from the on line menu, it is: Macerovaný flap steak v bylinkách s vlažným fenyklovým salátem – pastyňáková kroketa, silné masové jus. Just like you guessed. So the green thing that I couldn't recall what it was, that must be the fennel salad.

No dessert because I had dessert for lunch.


And walking back, I find Knihovna Václava Havla, Vaclav Havel's Place.


Just a simple two chairs and a table, with a tree growing inside the table:


It is in honor of former Czechoslovak and, later, Czech, President, who led the peaceful transition away from communism. A number of these "Havel's Place" settings have been installed throughout the world. There are 28 now around the world. Two in the United States: Washington and Portland. Didn't know that.











No comments:

Post a Comment