Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 10, 2026

Inside the Sacred Heart Cathedral

Interior of the Sacred Heart Cathedral

After visiting Saint Mark's Cemetery and the tomb of Gavrilo Princip, it was a walk back to my hotel to rest my tired feet.



I saw this interesting looking building.


Then I noticed the loop de loop pedestrian bridge and realized that was the Academy of Fine Arts that I saw on the walk to the museums.

Then I saw Sacred Heart Cathedral, the main Catholic church in Islamic and Orthodox Sarajevo:


And I decided to have a look-see inside. Only cost two marks, which is about a dollar.


A pair of two otherwise unidentified saintly figures in a Catholic church in Slavic country? I'm guessing Saints Cyril and Methodius, but I'm only guessing (and playing the odds). 


Across from that:


Built to last:


A plaque dedicated to Saint John Paul II, whose statue is outside the cathedral.


Finally, with my feet and legs about to give out from all the walking, I go back to my hotel. This is the mosque next door:


This adjacent building seems distressed.


Lingering effects of the Bosnian War? There are still a number of those, but those numbers (thankfully) are diminishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment