Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 10, 2026

Aerial Tram to the Most Infamous Bobsled Run in the World

The bobsled run looked differently during the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics

The bobsled and luge track from the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics is probably the most infamous bobsled run in the world. It also is, perhaps, the only bobsled run that has become a major tourist attraction after its use in the Olympics. No one visits Lake Placid, or Salt Lake City, or Vancouver, or Nagano, Japan, to see an historic bobsled run. They do in Sarajevo. But not for reasons that have anything to do with the 1984 Olympics.


The best way to get to the bobsled run is to take the aerial tram. And if you can take an aerial tram to get somewhere, why wouldn't you?

The lower station for the aerial tram is a short walk from my hotel. So hoof it I did.


In less than 10 minutes, I arrived at the lower station.



The tram ride up was a bit of an adventure. About one-third the way up, the car stopped. It probably was stopped for less than two minutes (I didn't time it), but it felt longer. Then the car (and all cars) started backing up. I was heading back down the mountain. I thought: well, this at least is safer. But right before the car got back to the station, it stopped again, only briefly this time, and then started moving back up the mountain in the correct, intended direction.


More fun that a cable car ride should be!


Second time was the charm and soon I was at the summit of aerial tram line:  Mount Trebević.


Time to search for a bobsled track. You can't hide one very easily, I would think, but I did not know how far from the tram station the track was going to be. I just knew what I was told and that the aerial tram was the best way to get to the now-decommissioned bobsled course.


I don't know the purpose of this miniature train that looked like Barney Rubble's car from The Flintstones. But if you are going to make a train where each car looks like one of Barney Rubble's cars, do you need a purpose? Just a Barney and Betty, I would think.

In searching for the bobsled course, I saw the Olympics rings and thought I must be getting warmer.


Which is ironic because it was a little colder up on the mountain than it was down in the city. At least the very light rain had abated.

Views were nice. Typically views are nice on mountaintops on the edge of cities.

And soon, not far from the Olympics, as I surmised, I spied it:


A section of the graffiti-covered bobsled track.

This track is known now among the tourist set for the fact that it is almost completely covered in what the intelligentsia call "graffiti art." The real history is far more sordid and far more tragic.
 

This was a battleground during the Bosnian War of the 1990's.

This looks like a segment of a parallel track -- probably the luge track -- collapsed in decay or from the war.


This is a strange point where it looks like there was a switch between the bobsled and luge tracks.


However, given that each of the tracks were made from concrete, it doesn't seem like the tracks could be switched, so I do not know why this looks like an intersection.

This is now a place for a peaceful walk through a quiet forest. It was not anything like that 30 years ago.


This was the front line during the war. With its strategic high ground, this was a deadly sniper's nest during the war. Artillery and mortars were lobbed down on the city of Sarajevo from here. This area also was extensively mined, so even after the war ended, peaceful strolls through the forest were not feasible,


I am guessing that this area, being on the internal border within Bosnia of the Federation and the Republic Srpska, this high ground was controlled by the forces loyal to Slobodan Milošević.


(Ethnic wounds here have not healed here. The other day, when asking a question about the Bosnian War, I referred to one of the sides as being the "forces of Milošević," and the guide to whom I asked my question immediately said that he understood and appreciated my use of that particular phrasing rather than using an ethnic label.)


Let's rub some salt in the open wound by taking a selfie:



I finally reached what I am guessing was the end of the track:


The reason I am guessing that this was the end is because, at this point, the track starts going slightly upward. Bobsleds don't climb. They descend. So this must have been the end. Only problem? No signage as to how to get back. And my google maps was not working in the middle of the forest. So I did the only thing logical that I knew would be a sure way out.


Backtrack.

I ignored this bit of graffiti art on my dissent:


Then I overheard a guide telling the group he was leading that his bit of graffiti was done by a professional artist from Slovenia. It does look more professional than the other "graffiti art," which looks a lot more "graffiti" and a lot less "art."

The ascent up the track was more tiring than the walk down. Plus my tired legs were even more tired. Luckily, I soon saw the aerial tram overhead and I knew I was getting close to the summit.


Here is an old style aerial tram car that was probably a more "interesting ride".


No longer being lost in the woods -- and, more importantly that I am now seated instead of walking uphill -- I finally can smile.
 

In honor of the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics.

This is the end of the Sarajevo part of the vacation. I am too tired to go out walking to a nice restaurant for some Bosnian cevapci (uncased sausages made from either ground beef or a mixture of ground beef and lamb). Tomorrow I catch an airplane to whisk me off the Asian Turkey part of my vacation adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment