Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Visit to Fat City

After the Museo Del Oro, I wandered across La Candelaria to the next most prominent museum in town, the Botero Museum.  Fernando Botero is Colombia's most prominent, most internationally renowned artist.  He is renowned for, well, let me show you one of his works:
A nun as rendered by Botero
Rubens has nothing on this guy when it comes to full-figured gals.  Botero is a painter and a sculpter:
Botero sculpture
 The people in his sculptures are fat.  Everything about the Botero Museum is fat.  His animal sculptures are fat:
This is a Fat Cat
 Birds are fat:
Delicious for Thanksgiving, no?
 Even the museum patrons are fat:
A man and his horse
(You knew that last one was coming, didn't you?)

The museum not only houses the works of Botero himself, but also about 100 works from very prominent artists from Botero's personal collection, such as Picasso and Chegall.  I knew this was a great museum when I walked in and the first artwork I saw was this:
Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot
Corot!  I'm the type of person who has to maintain lists about everything, even things that I don't care all that much about.  So on my list of favorite artists is Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot.  So I was very happy when I walk into an art museum in Bogotá, Colombia, and the first painting I see is from my #1 favorite artist.  That wasn't the first artwork I saw, just the first painting.  You walk into the Botero Museum and you are greeted with this:
Entrance to the Botero Museum
 A fat hand!  Of course!  And how does one improve on a sculpture of a fat hand?
I'm in good hands
How about some me?

How committed to fat was Botero?  Even the food was fat!

No wonder the human models got so fat

I'm at a loss for words on this one
Even this!  The tubbiest crucifiction you will ever see.

Anyway, it's a great museum.  And, like a great museum ought to be, admission was free.  And from the second floor balcony, you can see this:

Monserrate as seen from the Botero Museum
Monserrate.  You can see that from almost everywhere in Bogotá.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your travel blog as always. I found this entry particularly entertaining. Stay safe and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete