Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Night at the Casapueblo

Casapueblo in Punta Balleta
I scheduled to stay one night at the Casapueblo, a hotel in Punta Balleta, just to the west of Punta Del Este, along the Rio De La Plata.

The Casapueblo isn't so much a hotel as it is a giant scuplture within which you can rent a room.  It's more art installation than hotel.  While it most definitely appears to be somewhat Gaudi inspired, in my amateur opinion, it is the work of Uruguayan artist Carlos Páez Vilaró.  The architecture is supposed to resemble the mud nests of the local "hornero" bird.

The view from the water's edge
It is built over and into the rock cliffs of Punta Ballena.  In fact, on the lower levels, the rock from the cliffs are the walls.

Perched on the cliffs

In keeping with the artsy-quirkiness, the rooms don't have numbers.  They have names.  I am staying in the "Anzuelos" room, designated by the picture tiles above the door:

Mi cuarto es los "Anzuelos"
I thought from the picture that "Anzuelos" was a type of fish.  Nope.  The name is from the top half of that picture.  I am staying in the "Fish Hooks" room.

I like "Anzuelos" better.

In keeping with the theme, the room is gleaming white:

Inside the "Anzuelos" room
Although it's pricey, it's somewhat outdated.  For example, to get into the room, I use a "key."  An actual metal key.  I don't know how long it's been since I stayed in a hotel and my key was something other than a card.

My terrace
 It does have a balcony/terrace/veranda thing, which is something that will never be outdated.

My view from my balcony in mi "Anzuelos" cuarto
And from the balcony:  I see the sea!

The place is amazing.  And it's also somewhat of a maze.  The corridors are not straight, logically arranged.  Each floor isn't even all on one floor.

Hallway
Maybe I'm not completely on vacation here (and I did have a dream about work last night), but I cannot help but think, looking at all these stairs, that this place is not ADA compliant.

Steps down to the pool
 But the grounds are nice:

The view of the top level pool
 All gleaming white:
Near the restaurant area
 I even saw some hang-gliders over the hotel:

Hang glider over the Casapueblo

Hang gliders (plural) over the Casapueblo

No comments:

Post a Comment