Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 15, 2013

Roadside Uruguay: Zooilogico del Futuro

Right there.  In a traffic circle.  Somewhere just south of Trinidad, Uruguay
There's probably not much I love in this world more than Cardinal baseball, late 1970s/early 1980s new wave music, and metal animal sculptures.  So imagine my surprise as I am tootling down the road through Western Uruguay when suddenly I see that.

Weird metal animal sculptures!  In the middle of the road!  In the middle of Uruguay!

I am quite a fan of Roadside America.  I don't roadtrip without first checking it out to see if there's anything interesting on (or not far off) my route.  If there had been a Roadside Uruguay website, I would have checked it, too.  Turns out I didn't need to!  The best of Roadside Uruguay was right there on Ruta 3 just south of Trinidad, Uruguay.

And what is it?

The sign says, "Zoologico Del Futuro"
Zooilogico del Futuro!  The Zoo of the Future.

It was an awesome sight to behold.  Below are my pictures of the various "zoo animals," posted without comment.  Can you believe this place isn't listed in any of the Uruguay guidebooks I checked?





Note the Chevrolet Corsa rental car.  It is not one of art works 







I think this is my favorite.  I think it's a beaver and a saw




The artist's signature
Thank you Martin Arregui of Flores, Uruguay, for your hard work and your dedication, assuming you are the artist responsible.  You didn't know a metal animal sculpture loving tourist from Las Vegas, Nevada USA, would one day be driving past, but you made that tourist slam on the brakes, turn the car around, and photograph up a storm.  The smile lasted the rest of the day.

EDITED:  I have edited this to correct the gender and prepositionizing of the name of the artistic installation.  It is not "Zoologica Futura" as originally posted, but "Zooilogico Del Futuro," Zoo OF THE Future.  And the late Martin Arregui (who died tragically young in his mid 40s) is indeed the creative genius behind this unique roadside art installation.

1 comment:

  1. i was born in Trinidad... and i love "Zooilogico del Futuro"
    now im living in Germany and see your Post make me smile.

    ReplyDelete