Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 23, 2018

I Just Flew Into Trujillo, Peru, and, Boy, Are My Eyes Tired

La Basilica Catedral de Trujillo, Trujillo's signature building. As seen from my hotel room.
Another vacation day, another day waking up long before dawn to travel somewhere. Yesterday, it was the Nazca Lines. Before that, it was my flight from Las Vegas to Lima via IAH. Today, it was up at 4:00AM to fly to Trujillo, Peru. So, yes, I did just fly into Trujillo and, to paraphrase the old joke to remove all humor from it, boy, are my eyes tired.


Why Trujillo? It was in the Cookie Jar o' Potential Vacation Destinations just a few months ago. It was the eleventh from last to be eliminated. It has some fascinating pre-Inca archaeological sites that will be visited. But, for now, let's talk about my hotel:


The Hotel Libertador, which is a small Peruvian chain. I stayed at their Lima location. This one is even nicer. Welcome to my hotel:


Beautiful lobby:


Sitting area:


And the pool, which I may enjoy another day. I did pack my American-style swim trunks. (Be very thankful I am neither Brazilian nor European.)


Smaller room than the Hotel Libertador in San Isidro, Lima, but very nice and, as I said, with an awesome view.


So, tired eyes and all, I caught up on work emails and then rested, before strolling around the Plaza de Armas at night:


And, that is the Basilica Catedral de Trujillo.  Makes a nice backdrop for a photo op, no?


It was a beautiful summery night, with a surprising amount of humidity, considering this is a dry desert and the surrounding countryside looks awfully Nevada.


This is the statute that is the center of the Plaza de Armas, under a half moon.


This is the Freedom Monument, commemorating the declaration of independence from Spain by the Municipality of Trujillo in 1820.  Because I do not have a great camera for night photography, that center statue in the Freedom Monument looks more like Marilyn Monroe over the subway grate in "The Seven-Year Itch."  Isn't it delicious?

No. It isn't. In daylight, it looks nothing like that. But I lack the tools and, more importantly, the mad skillz, necessary to pull off decent night photography.  Anyone can take decent sunlight photos.  Night photography reveals who's an amateur better than it reveals what is being photographed.


Anyway, despite my stated opposition to night photography, I will hypocritically continue taking photos at night.  It really seemed to have one of the most popular activities among all of the people tonight at the Plaza de Armas.



1 comment:

  1. Love living vicariously through your travels! Except for the food poisoning, of course... Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete