Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 30, 2018

Miscellaneous Pictures from the Last Day in Bogota

Monumento a Los Héroes, in the median of busy highway

I wandered the streets of northern Bogotá today. There was nothing major on the agenda. All of the loose ends from my prior trips to Bogotá have been tied down, cut away, or unloosened, whatever it is you do to loose ends to make them loose no longer.


These two street dogs were laying around in the "Flores" area, which is an area around Calle 72 where, for some reason, there is a very heavy concentration of flower shops. Smells nice, but I'm surprised these pooches would think so. The older one was very affectionate, making me regret that I wasn't walking the streets with dog treats.

A couple of storefront restaurants caught my eye as I walking to dinner:


Can you see the sign?


Senora Choclo & Senor Cafe.  Mrs. Corn & Mr. Coffee.  I'm not really aware of corn and coffee being a match made in culinary heaven, but it works here in Bogotá.

And speaking of juxtapositions:


Arepizza!  When you can't decide between an arepa and a pizza.  (An arepa is a like a cornmeal-based English muffin.  It gets delicious when other ingredients are added.  Cheese being an essential.)

I opted for something more traditional.


Supper tonight was at the Central Cevicheria, where I've eaten a few times before.  Once you get passed the fact that their ceviche is in a mayonnaise sauce, it can be appreciated for its deliciousness.


I had the Ceviche de Aji Amarillo, which was a mix of raw seafood, in a spicy sauce with bell peppers and yellow corn.  Yes.  Yellow corn.  In ceviche.  It worked.


Dessert, of course, was a pisco sour.

Dinner the night before was also at a restaurant at which I had eaten before.


The Restaurante Club Colombia, owned by the Club Colombia brewery.  Once again, they served up fried plantains with a piquant sauce that I am 100 percent certain is pureed beats.


I again ordered the flank steak, which is served in a tomato and cheese sauce, along with potatoes served in the same sauce.


But the real reason I desperately wanted to come back to this restaurant was the dessert.


Merengón.  Two merengue cookies.  Lots of chantilly cream.  Raspberries and raspberry sauce.  And fresh soursop, or guanabana.  Delicious and, I believe gluten free.

That concludes this trip to Bogotá.  I will end on a surreal note, a Salvador Dali from the Museo Botero:

No comments:

Post a Comment