Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Sopron After Dark (Encore Edition)

Concert stage at the Sopron Advent Market.
The band was playing either Christmas music of Classic Rock from the 1980s.  I think it was Classic Rock.
Time to venture back into the nighttime world of Sopron, Hungary.


I am wandering the back allies of Sopron looking for supper.  And I think I find her:


Erhardt, the number one rated restaurant on Trip Advisor in all of Sopron.


The atmosphere is home-like.  But what about the food?  It was raining just a bit, which means I start with the soup.


Garlic cream soup,  Fokhagyma krémleves croutonnal, reszelt sajttal, in the Hungarian.  This seems to be a seasonal "must" in Hungary, as I've seen it on multiple menus in Budapest and Sopron, but only this time of year,

The menu is tri-lingual.  English is there, in addition to Hungarian and German.  So, from this, I learn that the last name of the former second baseman for the Minnesota Twins (and New York Yankees, but we don't talk about that) Chuck Knoblauch translates to "garlic."  Knoblauch is German for "garlic."

For my main course, I had:


I'm sure you recognize that as Zöldfűszerekkel pácolt csirkemellsteak jázminrizzsel, hozzá zöldsaláta pirított magvakkal és joghurtos öntettel.  Yes?  Steak of breast of chicken marinated with fine herbs, served with jasmine rice and roasted seeds-green salad, yoghurt-dip.  It was excellent,

This is the roasted seeds-green salad and yoghurt dip:
 

I ordered this because in some parts of the world, not ours, chicken breast has flavor.  In the USA, chicken's breasts are like those of Anna Nicole, or, to use a more "au courant" reference, Stormy Daniels.  Huge, but artificially inflated to the point of being hard rubber.  These breasts were naturally sized, tender and delicious.

This definitely was the place to be.  The music playing was seasonal, with a very heavy emphasis on Nat King Cole.  This youtube clip (that you can reach by clicking on this sentence) will put you in the mood.  Besides Nat, the music included multiple Christmas season selections from two Italian-Americans from the Greater Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area:  Steubenville's Dean Martin and Canonsburg's Perry Como.


For dessert, I had a shot of Unicum, the Hungarian national digestif.  It then was time to walk back to the hotel in Sopron After Dark.  I thought I'd detour over to the Advent Market to see if anything looked good there for dessert.  Maybe another cylinder of grilled bread, or, perhaps, a ladylock.


Alas.  9:00 p.m. and all was closed.  They roll up the sidewalks here after 9 o'clock.  Just like Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment