Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Vienna After Dark: Christmas Market Edition

The hot punch drinks at the Viennese Christmas markets is served in Santa head mugs
The sun has set on Old Vienna.  I set out for the Christmas Market in front of City Hall.  They have Christmas Markets scattered all over town, but the one in front of City Hall is supposed to be the biggest and the best.


All journeys in Vienna lead past the giant Opera building.


Past the decorated streets full of shoppers.


Christmas lights everywhere.  Maybe I should take a tram ride through the Christmas lights.


I did not make it to City Hall as the Christmas Market onm Maria-Theresien-Platz, between the Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Natural History Museum looked like too much fun.


I ate my supper.


A brat and a beer.  It's like I'm in Wisconsin.  I wanted to eat supper at a brew pub near my hotel before heading out, but the place was absolutely packed.  On a Tuesday night.  Again, given how crowded Vienna is in December, I'm scared of thinking how crowded it must be in peak tourism season.


I bought a Christmas tchotchke at that booth.  A Christmas ornament.  That looks like Simone The Cat.


For dessert, I had the orangenpunsch.  Orange punch.  Served hot in a Santa head mug and feeling like it had a higher alcohol content than the advertised five percent.


At 9:00 p.m., the joint shuts down.


Time to go back to the hotel.  The day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment