Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Phot-o' the Day: Butcher's Bridge, Ljubljana, sLOVEnia


A special "love love love" edition of the "Phot-o' the Day" for the Day of Love, St. Valentine's Day 2020.

This is from the Butcher's Bridge, Ljubljana, sLOVEnia. (Which is how I will spell the name of this country for the duration of the One Single Day Dedicated to Love on the calendar.)  This is from my visit to Ljubljana in September 2014.

sLOVEnia is the only country on the planet with the word "love" embedded in its name. (I believe.) (Please correct me if I am wrong.) (I don't like to be wrong on matters of geography.)  There are a lot of very romantic places in sLOVEnia, including this bridge over the Ljublanica River in Ljubljana, which, incidentally, is the only modern bridge spanning the Ljubljanica in the city's historic core.

This is the first place, in all of my traveling, where I saw one of those "love lock" bridges, where the couple in love locks a lock to the bridge and throws the key into the river because their love will be eternal so long as the lock is locked .  It's a thing now pretty much all over Planet Earth.  (They use bolt cutters to regularly cut them off the Charles Bridge in Prague, for example.  Love is not meant to last in Prague.)  The place I saw this global phenomenon first was the Butcher's Bridge in Ljubljana. Butcher's Bridge?

Where you get locked into love? I hope that's not a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment