Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Phot-o' the Day: Madeira Wine in Blandy's Attic; Funchal, Madeira, Portugal


I'm now three days into playing in the fourth quarter of my life. This is the last post about the festivities-equivalent during the lockdown birthday.

The other part of the birthday fun was opening a bottle of Madeira. I brought one lone bottle of Madeira back from my trip to Madeira. I was saving it for good. I grew up always saving everything for good, and there would never be an occasion "good enough" for the good stuff, and so the "good stuff" would rot. So I decided this was the occasion that was "good enough" for opening the bottle of Madeira.

I bought the bottle of Madeira at Blandy's, in downtown Funchal, on the island of Madeira. Blandy's is one of the major producers of Madeira wine on the Madeira island. Madeira is aged in warm attics. The photo is from one of those warm attics filled with Madeira aging to the proper age. Pictured are giant oak barrels that were sipping on Kentucky bourbon in the good ol' USA in a previous life. This life is now all about the Madeira. For an oak barrel, it would be like moving one paradisiacal part of heaven to another.

Visited September 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment