Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 11, 2020

Phot-o' the Day: Walking on the Herbert Glacier, near Juneau, Alaska USA


In Juneau, the "thing to do" is to take a helicopter out onto a glacier, usually the world famous Mendenhall Glacier. The Mendenhall is world famous because it's the one everyone's heard of. Yes, I am substituting a tautology for analysis because I don't know why the Mendenhall is the most famous. Perhaps, like a Kardashian (or, to use an older allusion, a Gabor), it's famous for being famous.

I did what everybody else does when in Juneau. I took a helicopter to a glacier. Only me, being a non-conformist, went to the Herbert. Actually, I went to the Herbert because that's where the helicopter went. There were reasons why the helicopter pilot chose the Herbert over the Mendenhall. That reason has been lost to the ravages of time. Actually, I think the Mendenhall was fogged in that day and the Herbert wasn't.

Visited July 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment