Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Sunday Church Phot-o' the Day: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris; Paris, France


In memoriam on the Memorial Day weekend.

This is Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, Notre Dame Cathedral, on an island in the Seine River in the middle of Paris, France. I visited in June 2016, although I did not actually visit. I walked past. I only had a limited number of days in Paris, and the line to get into the cathedral was long, so I decided to save Notre Dame for my next visit to Paris. It stood for several hundred years, so it was always going to be there, right?

Unfortunately, there was a massive fire in the roof area at the beginning of Holy Week 2019 and they are still assessing the damage and shoring up the structure so restoration can begin. These cathedrals may be built of stone, but there is a whole lot of wood in the framing and that was the tinder that fed the fire. The restoration itself has not yet begun and there still is not absolute certainty that the cathedral can be saved (although I understand that the optimism that it can be restored is much higher than it was a year ago).

May there be a resurrection after the restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment