Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 7, 2020

UIO

Mi hogar lejos de casa.
Google translate says that's Spanish for: My home away from home.

I have arrived in Ecuador. My 31st country in which I have been present. But who's counting? I am, I guess. But only me. 

I flew into Quito's Mariscal Sucre airport in the middle of the night, airport code UIO (Quito without all those messy consonants). The airport is FAR out of town. It makes Houston Inter-continental or DIA seem like they're in the respective downtown. OK, maybe not DIA. But IAH.


But I made it to my hotel, my home for the next five days, the NH Collection Quito Royal. It's in a business-y-residential La Floresta neighborhood in the (relatively) upscale northern side of the city.

I walked the neighborhood to get my bearings.


Getting my bearings took a little bit, since there is no grid pattern and there are mountains on both sides. I think the above statue is Queen Isabella of Spain (of Ferdinand and Isabella fame), since this is on Madrid near Avenida Isabel La Catolica. I consider that a clue.

This, I believe, is Almacenes Rickie, a shopping center.


Oh. Would you look at the time. Time to go back to the hotel and get ready for the only thing on today's "take it easy" agenda, the Free Walking Tour of the Centro Quito.

No comments:

Post a Comment