Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 18, 2015

Morning Walk Through Charming Copenhagen

Hans Christian Andersen glances over his shoulder at Tivoli Gardens
One of the most perplexing questions about religious iconography was answered for me this morning.  At the Thorvaldsens Museum.  But, first, a walking tour of Charming Copenhagen.

I had a free morning and afternoon plans, so I took a modest walk around the southwestern corner of Copenhagen Centrum.  This meant walking past the Central Station and crossing over to the "right" side of the tracks

Central Station is lousy with bicycles on all sides
Right next to Central Station is the world famous amusement park, Tivoli Gardens.  This is not an entrance, but a few of the rides are visible.

So close to Tivoli Gardens
Tivoli Gardens is an amusement park.  It is not a theme park.  It takes up a very large city block.  Not a whole city.  We used to have these in the States, before the rise of the theme park tourist vacation destination,  (Am I the only one who remembers Cascade near New Castle?)  Maybe I'll make it in.  But not yet.  I'm on walking tour.

The back door to Tivoli
This is a back entrance to Tivoli Gardens.  The blue on the road are the bike lanes.  Man are there bike lanes here.  This is a rare picture of a bike lane not swarming with bicycles so thick you cannot even see the blue pavement.

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
This is the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, a modern art museum built by the Carlsberg brewing family,  While it is the leading modern art museum in Copenhagen, it interestingly is not the leading modern art museum in Denmark.  That would be the Louisiana (very Danish name that would be), about a half hour north of Copenhagen.  I currently in the process of deciding between heading north to the Lousiana, or heading west to the town of Roskilde, with its famous Viking boat museum, for tomorrow's adventure.  Which shall I choose?  Tune in tomorrow.  Same Bat Channel.

Frederiksholms Kanal
From there I crossed over the Frederiksholms Kanal.  There is a lot of water in the capital city of the seafaring Danes. There are a lot of boats in Copenhagen.  More boats than people.  But not more boats than bicycles!  The contest is not even close.

Crossing the Frederiksholms Kanal
I'm heading for the Thorvaldsens Museum.  The above picture shows two excellent examples of the most distinctive feature of Copenhagen architecture:  ornate spires atop various buildings, usually (but not exclusively) churches and palaces.  I cannot yet identify the spire to the left, but the one on the right is atop Christiansborg Palace.  So while I'm trying to find the Thorvaldsen, let's have a look-see at the exterior of Christiansborg Palace.

Narrow walkway to Christiansborg Palace
There was a tour group outside.

Outside the Palace
This is one of the lesser palaces for the Danish royals.

Main door
I could knock on the door of the Palace.  But they would not let me in.  Unless I paid the admission charge,  So let's try another door, shall we?

Front entrance with a statue of a King Frederik
That's one of Denmark's many King Frederiks astride a horse.

Stock exchange building (Børsen)
Just below Christiansborg Palace is the Børsen, the Danish stock exchange building, which is topped off by one the more interesting spires I saw in town.  This one is a twistie.

The view from across København Havnebade
I did eventually find the Thovaldsens Museum.  But I'm going to save that for another post.  This one is getting long.  So I'm going to take it home with a walk along the København Havnebade and up to City Hall.

The Royal Library, a.k.a. "The Black Diamond"
Just to the left of the bus in this picture, the building that looks like it's askew, is the Royal Library, a.k.a. "The Black Diamond."  It is an ugly, narcissistic, too-precious post-modernist scar on an otherwise beautiful Copenhagen cityscape.  If I thought about it,

Mermaid
As I approach Soren Kierkegaards Plads, I see this statue.  Of a mermaid.  And she's little.  But but but ... this is NOT the world-famous Little Mermaid Statue.  She's dozens of blocks farther east.

A boat traversing the København Havnebade
It's time for my first selfie of the trip.

Denmark Selfie #1
I look grim.  Chin up, young man.  You're in charming Copenhagen.  Or, should I say, "Chins up."

An entrance to Tivoli Gardens
And what's this I spy?  It's as if Tivoli Gardens is beckoning me.

Typical street scene, as it is bicycles. Lots and lots of bicycles.
But I don't have time for such frivolities.  I have afternoon plans and I need a shower.  By the way, the brick building is Copenhagen City Hall.

Hans Christian Andersen.  In statue form.
But I do have time for some frivolities.  Such as photographing the world famous Hans Christian Andersen statue outside of City Hall.

Fountain outside Copenhagen City Hall
And, of course I have time for this frivolity.  It's a fountain-statue of a sea serpent devouring a bull.  Or maybe not.

Entrance to Copenhagen City Hall
But definitely no time for investigating why those two gentlemen leaving City Hall were wearing identical bright blue suits.

Main entrance to Tivoli Gardens
And Tivoli Gardens will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment