Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 20, 2020

Phot-o' the Day: Equestrian Statue of King Carol I, Bucharest, Romania


King Carol I was a German prince who was selected to be king of a newly-independent Romania in 1866, after a palace coup. He reigned right up until the time of World War I, 1914. He brought liberal democratic reforms eastward to Romania. He built Bucharest into a then-modern European capital.

All that earned him an equestrian statue in Piata Revolutiei in Bucharest, across the boulevard from the national museum.

Bucharest is a beautiful city, filled with great architecture from the latter 19th Century, when King Carol was building the town into a worthy European capital city. I'm thinking I was expecting it to be more "Soviet" in its appearance, and those were those heavy-handed touches in the city, unfortunately. The legacy of the twin evils (fraternal, not identical) of communism and LeCorbusier/Bauhaus architecture.

Visited May 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment