Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Phot-o' the Day: Small Boat Harbor; Sitka, Alaska


View of the small boat harbor, while walking down waterfront Lincoln Street, in Sitka, Alaska.

The harbor in Sitka apparently is too small for the massive cruise ships that now ply the Alaska Marine Highway and Inside Passage, so only smaller cruise ships dock here. Good news for you when you find yourself here, since the town is not over-run. Bad news for you if you are on one of those massive cruise ships, since you will miss the wonderful, historic, small city.

Sitka may be the point farthest west that I've been. It's located at 135° 20′ 5″ W. So, if you count 180° W, at the International Date Line, as the point farthest west, this is it for me. This is the farthest west destination I've been to. But I've been to China. And I flew westward, across the International Date Line, to get there. So is Xi'an, China, then, the farthest west I've traveled, since I traveled westerly to get there? Or is China, specifically Beijing, the farthest east I've traveled. I don't know anymore.

Visited July 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment