Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Budapest, Hungary: This One Is for the Bicyclists

And this one is for you bicycling buffs.

I have not been to many of the world's great cities. I've been to just about every city of any decent size in the Lower 48 except the Portlands Oregon and Maine. But I haven't been to Paris or Shanghai or any place like that.

But Budapest is most bicycle-friendly city I've personally seen. While the roads are wide, they are congested. Budapest's solution? Put the bike lanes on the sidewalk. Ingenious. The wide sidewalks have plenty of room to pedestrian traffic flow while allowing our two-wheeled friends to pedal in safety. Safe for bicycles. Safe for pedestrians. And cars don't have to worry so much about committing bicyclicide (except at intersections). I approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment