Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 10, 2011

Great Market Hall

This is the last day of Big Vacation 2011. And that means it is my last day in Budapest. And that means it is time to go souvenir shopping in the Great Market Hall.

The produce section looks and smells great.


Not every stall has everything (but every booth seems to sell "paprika." Not the spice (although there is a lot of that being sold at the various booths). "Paprika" is just the Magyar word for "bell pepper."

The meats are plentiful and, unlike the delicious aromas wafting from the produce stalls, there are no odors emanating from the meat sections, which I presume is due to very fast product turnover.

The local shopping is on the ground floor. Tourist tchochkes and the restaurants are up on the mezzanine. It was lunch hour, the restaurants (lunch counters, actually) were extremely mobbed, and I had just eaten a massive and late breakfast, so I wasn't hungry. But, note to self for my next visit to Budapest, this looks like the place to go for cheap lunch food. One last look at the meat counter and it's time for my next destination o' the day:

Mmmmmm. Meat. The "Mmmmmm" above specifically excludes the blood sausage and the liver sausages that I saw for sale at a number of mear counters. Maybe they're good, but I don't intend to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment