Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 7, 2011

Győr for the night

I'm in Győr for the night because, for the second year in a row, I absolutely could not find the rental car return at all under any circumstances. I was supposed to return the rental car to the Budapest Airport rental car office. Except that Fox Auto-Rent, otherwise a great company, does not have any signs as to where to return rental cars. There are signs at the international terminal for rental car return, but they will lead you to a sign tht has "Rental Car Return" X-ed out with a big red "X". I saw the pick up locations for Hertz and Budget, but not Fox.

Last year, I spent three hours driving around Zagreb, Croatia, looking for the Hertz in-town car rental location. I even stopped and asked for directions several times. I drove around so much that I had to go back to the outskirts of town to refill the gas tank. After I was opelessly late and would have to pay for another day anyhow, I decided to just drive back to Győr, where I knew the car rental was located. I checked in so they would no the car wasn't stolen. I decided to head to Sopron, on the Austrian border, to see if I could find the Pan European Picnic Memorial. I got delayed because the front finally came through and it started raining around the Budapest beltway all the way to Győr. The rain let up by the time I got to Sopron, but so did the daylight. I was probably about another 15 minutes from the Memorial, presuming that I could have found it first try. So I headed back to Győr for the night so I can turn in the Mercedes first thing in the morning and head to Budapest by train.

The picture above is of a traffic circle / roundabout / rotary (depending on which part of the country you're from) near Sopron, which is about the farthest I made it. It's got a globe in the middle! Hungary makes extensive use of the traffic circle and they are curprisingly easy to navigate because they are the best-marked stretch of road anywhere in Hungary. Road exits aren't marked until you are right on them, and I've been confused a number of times about which exit to take when. But the circles are exceptionally well-marked and I never made a wrong turn in one.

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying your posts--feel like I'm there. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete